For more than 58 years, Itawamba Community College in Fulton has educated thousands of young people from Chickasaw, Itawamba, Lee, Monroe and Pontotoc counties in the hill country of northeast Mississippi. For many years, a favorite gathering spot for students on the Fulton campus was “the horseshoe” – a horseshoe shaped island consisting of concrete benches and the school flag pole, landscaped with junipers and a spruce tree in the middle of the intersection in front of the school’s cafeteria and recreation hall. This spot was most always busy with laughter, talking and sometimes even cramming for exams for many years. Although long gone, this spot is probably in the memories of many former students from days gone by. The above scenes of “the horseshoe” were photographed during 1957.
Let our voices loudly ringing,
Echo far and near;
Songs of praise dear Itawamba,
To thy mem’ry dear;
From the Itawamba Community College Alma Mater
Words arranged by Allen Gregory, Class of 1951