Friday, August 29, 2008

Self-Publishing With Blurb

Earlier this month I read an interesting article called Blurb! Excuse Me! at footnoteMaven discussing a company called Blurb that offers self-publishing. I decided to give it a try as I always wanted to produce a book of Itawamba County scenic photographs. As I enjoy layout and design, I downloaded the company’s software from their website and played around with it for a few days. The software is extremely easy to use and features many templates for different types of books. You can use the templates or be creative designing your own pages. Before long I had compiled a little 40-page book of photography I titled A Place Called Home: Itawamba County, Mississippi. I uploaded the book’s layout to the company, placed an order for two paper-back editions for proofing and they immediately gave me an expected date of shipping.

About two weeks later I was pleasantly surprised when my two paperback editions were delivered to my home. The company definitely delivered on what they advertise on their website – bookstore-quality books that look professional and polished. And I am simply amazed at the short turnaround time from submission of the completed layout to delivery of the finished product.

After designing a dust jacket, replacing a few photographs and changing the typeface of the book I have now ordered two hardbound copies of the little coffee table book.

The potential is great for such online self-publishing companies in the area of family history. With companies like these, researchers can easily self-publish quality books relating to their genealogical studies or local history. And such personal books can make wonderful family gifts.
 

8 comments:

said...

Nice pics.

Moultrie Creek said...

Bob, thanks for the Blurb review. Your photographs are gorgeous and it looks like Blurb did them justice. I'm intrigued with their blog-to-book feature and after your review I'm considering trying it out.

Bob Franks said...

Thanks tor for you comment. I too am interested in their blog-to-book feature moultrie creek. And thanks for introducing me to Blurb through your blog.

Anonymous said...

Bob, is your book of photographs available for purchase? What a great idea! Do you have to be a blogger?

Anonymous said...

Are you able to sell copies of the book that you made? If so I would be interested in it. I had mentioned to Marylin that the Society needed to make a book like that to possibly sell to the public to raise money. That is if it would be worth doing and not costing too much.

Bob Franks said...

Mona, I did the book as just an experiment in using the service, and I was really impressed by the results. I'll probably let the book be available for purchase from Blurb soon.

Oliver, I too, would like for the society to do a special book. Years ago we published An Itawamba Sampler. This book of photos and family histories was sold out within a year and was a huge success. I think its time we do another such book.

Anonymous said...

Bob, I would like to have a copy of the book also. I think this was a wonderful idea. Let me know when and if I can order one. Thanks, Jan Holley

Anonymous said...

Bob,

Would you please let us know when the book will be available for purchase? I've downloaded the software and plan on attempting a publication of Robinson family history and photos for my children. Thanks so much for sharing.

I agree that it is time for another society publication and would help out in any way I can.