In searching through the old deed books in the Itawamba County Chancery Clerk’s office, the researcher comes across quite a few deeds to churches. One such deed is the old James Creek Meeting House deed from 1845. During antebellum times the James Creek community south of Tremont was a thriving community boasting a store (Thompson’s Store), post office, and a Methodist-Episcopal and Primitive Baptist churches. The James Creek Academy was a thriving boarding school prior to the Civil War. An advertisement in an 1860 edition of the Fulton Southern Herald shows the school was operated by John P. and Irene H. Calloway teaching such courses as Latin Green, the English sciences, philosophy, chemistry and astronomy.
The old James Creek Meeting House deed reads in part: “This indenture made and entered into this the 21st of January in the year of our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Forty Five between Josiah Lindsey … and the Primitive Baptist Church at James Creek … a part of the North West Quarter of Section thirty-two, Township Ten, Range Ten East containing two acres. Bounded bounded on the east commencing at Elizabeth Harder’s line running west as to take in the house in said land…”
From reading the deed, it is apparent the church already existed at the time this instrument was signed. Today the James Creek Primitive Baptist Church is located near the Alabama state line about four miles southeast of the 1840’s church location.
The 1845 James Creek Meeting House deed is but one of many examples of church, school and business deeds found in the old records of Itawamba County.