Monday, May 18, 2009

Society Program Meeting Tomorrow Night

Tomorrow evening, members and visitors of the Itawamba Historical Society will be treated to a special program by Dr. Terry Thornton, society member and author of the blog, Hill Country of Monroe County. He will be presenting a program about burial customs in the hill country of northeast Mississippi. The meeting will begin at 6 p.m. in the Gordon McFerrin Auditorium of the George Poteet History Center at the corner of Church Street and Museum Drive in Mantachie. A fellowship meal will be followed by the special program. This program should be both entertaining and educational, as Dr. Thornton is an excellent speaker. The public is invited to attend.
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My name is Patricia Neely-Dorsey. I am from Tupelo,MS and the author of Reflections of a Mississipi Magnolia-A Life in Poems.
I have been enjoying reading your blog and was wondering if you might possibly feature by book on your blog to introduce my book to your readers.
I too attempt to share some of the rich cultural history of these Mississippi Hills.



Patricia Neely Dorsey's Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia-A Life in Poems is "a true celebration of the south and things southern." The author states , "There are so many negative connotations associated with Mississippi and the south in general. In my book, using childhood memories, personal thoughts and dreams, I attempt to give a positive glimpse into the southern way of life. In my book I try to show that there is much is more to Mississippi and the south than all of the negatives usually portrayed .I invite readers to Meet Mississippi (and the south) Through Poetry ,Prose and The Written Word."


www.patricianeelydorsey.webs.com