Sunday, October 12, 2008

Swamp Mallow in the Early Sunday Morning Dew

On an early morning walk today I came across a favorite old plant in many Itawamba County gardens. Called Wild Cotton by many locals, the Swamp Mallow is a perennial wetland plant usually found in areas such as swamps, marshes, ponds, ditches and wet woods throughout Itawamba County. A native of the southeastern United States, this plant has showy blossoms throughout the summer and fall and can grow as high as seven or eight feet tall.
 

2 comments:

Holly Timm said...

As always your artist's eye has made a work of art out of what was already an interesting subject. As a native New Englander it was also neat to see a "swamp mallow" which I have heard of but never seen.

Bob Franks said...

Thanks for the comments Holly. I enjoy early morning autumn walks in the woods...and I always take my camera.