Ironwood Bluff Road in the southern part of the county was once a busy road connecting Itawamba County lands west of the Tombigbee River with eastern Monroe County and Smithville. Ironwood Bluff was one of the early voting precincts of the county and was abolished by the county Board of Police during 1839. Ironwood Bluff continued being a post office for several years. The Stegall and Burdine families were once prominent families of the community. A ferry was located at Ironwood Bluff on the Tombigbee River and was replaced with an iron bridge by the early 1920's. Today the old road west of the river travels through beautiful bottomland country. Pictured above are cypress knees along this old road west of the river.