The old Fulton gave yard dates back to the early 1840’s and served as the burial grounds for the town of Fulton throughout the 19th Century. This cemetery contains hundreds of gravestones memorializing many of the early residents of the town. One such monument is the Terry Wiygul gravestone.
Terry Wiygul was born a slave during 1861 in Fulton. Most likely he was a slave of hotel owner, Reuben Wiygul. By 1870 most of the former slaves of Reuben Wiygul were living with Reuben’s son, Tranquilas on his farm just south of town.
Terry Wiygul is found in the 1880 Itawamba County census as living just south of Fulton being enumerated as a laborer with the Lee Stone family. According to Circuit Court records, he married Leanne Stone on September 19, 1886.
In the 1900 census Terry Wiygul (born September 1861) is living in the town of Fulton with his second wife Milly and his two children Hattie and Robert. His occupation is listed as a day laborer. During 1910 he is listed as a farmer on the Fulton and Amory Road and in the same location during 1920 (in his household is his father-in-law, Henry Cummings, aged 70).