Friday, January 30, 2009

In the Courthouse ca. 1955

The above photograph was taken in the tax collector's office in the Itawamba County courthouse, probably during 1955. Pictured are Reba Gilliland, Justice of the Peace Otto Miller (center) and county sheriff and tax collector Joseph Ezell (Joe) Sheffield. The photograph was dated by finding the expiration year stamped on one of the automobile tags on the counter shelf. Sheffield served as Itawamba County sheriff and tax collector during the 1952-1955 term.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this, Mr. Franks. Joe Sheffield was my grandfather; he was father to my dad, Bobby Sheffield. My father tells some great stories about him, before I was born.

I also have fond memories of "Daddy Joe", as we called him. I miss him very much and wish that he was still alive to know my son, named after him: Joseph West Parker.

Sincerely,
Amanda Sheffield Parker
Nashville, TN