Friday, January 11, 2008

Logs Being Transported to the B.H. Baine Lumber Yard in Fulton: ca. 1923

Larger Resolution Photograph

Shortly after 1920 the lumber industry saw tremendous growth in Itawamba County. The Kilpatrick family of Carrollton, Alabama and Gibbs family from Hardin County, Tennessee opened mills at Fulton. One company, the B.H. Baine Lumber Company opened a mill in Fulton. Pictured above is a view of hardwood logs being hauled from the Tombigbee River bottom lands headed for the mill in Fulton around 1923. B.H. Baine had moved to Houston in Chickasaw County, Mississippi from Tennessee where he operated a mill there before opening his Fulton operation.

4 comments:

Terry Thornton said...

Bob, Thanks for that most interest photo. There is a lot of history shown there. Have you researched the log wagon shown? I believe it to be of the sort invented by a Mississippian and produced down around Meridian. The company's records show that some of the wagons were sold by the hardware store in Aberdeen. One of the wagons is on display at the Mississippi Museum of Agriculture in Jackson.
TERRY

Unknown said...

My name is Burton Hugh Baine, B.H. Baine was my Great Grandfather. Very neat to see this picture. While I did not know BH I knew his wife (my GGM Baine) very well and visited her many times in Houston MS before her death. I remember visiting a lumber yard sometime in the '70 or early 80's still owned by the family, and I remember my Great Uncle Paul having lost many of the digits on his hands from working there as a younger man. I was unable to open a larger jpeg of the image but am interested in obtaining a copy for family records if that is possible.

Unknown said...

My name is Burton Hugh Baine, B.H. Baine was my Great Grandfather. Very neat to see this picture. While I did not know BH I knew his wife (my GGM Baine) very well and visited her many times in Houston MS before her death. I remember visiting a lumber yard sometime in the '70 or early 80's still owned by the family, and I remember my Great Uncle Paul having lost many of the digits on his hands from working there as a younger man.

Bob Franks said...

Burton, if you will send me your email address at editor@itawambahistory.org, I will be happy to send you a large resolution copy of the old photograph. Thanks for the comments.