Sunday, January 6, 2008

The 1861 William Harvey Keyes Townhouse in Fulton

William. Harvey Keyes, son of Itawamba judge and planter, James Keyes built the home in 1861 at the corner of South Cummings and Cedar streets in Fulton and lived there until 1878 when he moved back to the old Keyes plantation across the Tombigbee River and sold the home to Dr. J.M. Walker. By the 1910 census, he is listed in the census as age 78, living on Green Street in Tupelo with an occupation of “own income.” In 1898 Judge Newnan Cayce purchased the old Keyes house. William Harvey Keyes served in several elected positions in Itawamba County during the 1860s through the 1870s. The house was photographed shortly before it was burned during 1965 to make way for a medical office. Today the Fulton Police Department is located on the lot.

1870 U.S. Federal Census
Itawamba County
Town of Fulton
William Keyes: 38, Circuit Clerk, Alabama
Annie: 34, Keeping House, Alabama
Joseph: 13, Mississippi
James: 11, Mississippi
Wiley: 9, Mississippi
Fannie 5, Mississippi
Perdy: 3, Mississippi
Claud: 3/12, Mississippi
Pleasant Thomas: 50, Drygoods Merchant, Tennessee
William Thomas: 22, Clerk in Store, Mississippi

No comments: