On a cold January day the solitude of the old Sheffield home and grounds in Fulton is a quiet oasis in the center of town.
The old Sheffield estate in the old section of the town of Fulton is one of the beautiful older homes of town. The place was originally owned by Dr. James and Anna Rogers Walker. Dr. Walker came to Fulton immediately after the Civil War where he practiced medicine and was elected as the Itawamba County Circuit Court Clerk for multiple terms. His daughter, Anna Rogers Walker married the young Itawamba County attorney Isaac Lewis Sheffield and they built this house on the Walker land in Fulton.
Isaac Lewis Sheffield was born December 25, 1887 in Itawamba County. He was the son of Isaac Judson and Frances McBride Sheffield and the grandson of John and Sarah Margaret Pharr Sheffield. John Sheffield’s parents, Everett (born 1790 in Moore County, North Carolina) and Susannah Hare (born 1787 in North Carolina) came to Itawamba County during the 1830’s where they settled west of the Tombigbee River.
Photograph by Bob Franks